Recipe by Genevieve Bax, Queensland, Australia
Mint & Black tea Syrup:
375ml boiling water
20g Dilmah loose leaf black tea
225g castor sugar
25-30 fresh mint leaves
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, place on the stove and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the liquid has reduced to half of its original quantity.
- Allow the sugar syrup to cool to 85°C (use a candy thermometer) and add the tea leaves. Stir to combine, then let stand for 4 minutes.
- Bruise the mint leaves and add them to the liquid when the tea has 1 minute left to stand.
- When tea has stood for 4 minutes, strain the syrup using a sieve lined with several layers of muslin. Place in a jar to cool.
25g Pink Lady apple – cut into small pieces
8ml fresh lime juice
30ml mint and black tea syrup
90ml dry ginger ale
Ice to serve
An apple round (to place on the side of the glass)
Tip of a sprig of mint
- In a shaker, muddle together the mint tea syrup, apple pieces and lime juice.
- Add 90ml dry ginger ale to the shaker and stir.
- Pour the contents of the shaker into a martini glass and add some ice.
- Garnish by placing an apple round on the side of the martini glass and the nice tip off the sprig of mint sitting inside the middle of the apple.